Thursday, October 22, 2015


            GOD'S TIMING IS PERFECT:)






Dear family and friends,

     It so good to hear from all of you, and I love you all so much.  I just want you all to know that I have gained a rock solid testimony of this gospel and I will NEVER go astray from it.   Our investigator is really close to getting baptized.  She came to church yesterday and watched an eight year old girl get baptized, whose family is LDS.  She said to me, "I'm so sorry because I was supposed to be baptized today.  I have been really praying about it."  We should know this week.:)  Please keep her in your prayers?

     I can not even begin to tell you how well the song went that I put together for this huge conference with the general authority, Elder Whiting (from the Quorum of the Seventy), a few days ago. I got to talk to him as he shook my hand and looked me in the eye.  He talked to me personally for a little bit.  I gathered 4 elders, and  2 other sister missionaries besides me for this special number.   We sang,  "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee," written by Rob Gardner.  Maybe when I tell you this…... then you will understand just how well it went.  When we finished singing, Elder Whiting got up and said,  "Because that song was so amazing I'm going to do something I have never done before.  I want you all to sing that again for the closing number."  Then I looked over on the stand and our mission president and wife were literally bawling, especially our president.  He then got up to speak and said, " I can barely recover from that musical number,"  as he was wiping his tears from off his face.  The spirit was so powerful and filled the room.  Almost every missionary was crying and missionaries came up to me crying, saying thank you for that beautiful song, thank you so much!"  I can tell you all right now that it was NOT our talent, because we barely had any talent.  It was the spirit that touched people's hearts.  I know that I was inspired to choose  that song and I have to thank Rob Gardner for writing it.  A long story short…..it went really really well!!  Elder Gabe Smith did a fantastic job playing the piano for us too.  I sang alto of course.

     This week was very spiritual and we had many miracles, especially because of the training we had from Elder Whiting from the Quorum of the Seventy.  He is the area president for the Asia North Area.  He actually said the closing prayer in general conference if you remember.  He and his wife held a mission tour with us and talked with us about having more faith, and becoming more Christ like. I learned so much from him.

      We are doing this huge Family History activity in the city Incheon.  Incheon is not in our zone but the Stake President asked all the missionaries that consist of two zones to all help out.  So every day we went to Incheon and proselyted about this family history activity that we were planning at the church and we handed out 100 flyers or more every day.  We got the notice two days in advance about this project, and had to change all of our schedules.  Incheon is about an hour and fifteen minutes away, so you can imagine a lot of traveling on our part.  Before we started, my companion and I made a promise to not complain once about doing it.  Our first day was not very successful, and very few people were on the streets so we decided to go door knocking…….and one person was home.  We finished the 3 hours with our feet feeling like they were going to fall off.:)  As we sat down to take a 30 second break, we noticed this man sitting on the other bench who was covered in tattoos, and was playing a video game.  We started introducing ourselves and then invited him to this family history activity, but when he realized that it was the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he said, "Oh I know this church!  I have seen it many times."  He knew exactly where it was and was so happy that we invited him.  He said he would come and we went on our way.  Small little miracles………here and there.

     The next day as we were walking home we were just saying hi to EVERYONE we saw and talking to as many people as we could.  This old grandpa with a cane came slowly down the road, and I gave him a huge smile and a bow:)   He stopped, and smiled, and then said, "What are you doing and who are you?"  We told him that we are missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we are inviting everyone to come to this Family History activity at the church.   He told us that he went into the LDS church one day and saw a baptism.  He started making the motions of a baptism and then told us he would LOVE to come to this activity and he took a flyer.  We parted ways and then the next day, on the way home, we saw him again.  He stopped us and said, "Hey I met you yesterday, remember?  He then called his friend over who then became very interested in what we had to say.  The old grandpa looked at us and said,  "You are just wonderful, just wonderful!!"  I thanked him so much and asked the two men if they both would come to the activity.  They happily said, "OH YES……WE WILL BE THERE!!!"  As we said goodbye the old grandpa was so excited and waved to us until he could not see us anymore!

     Another huge miracle was when we walked out of the church to start inviting people again, and a man that we had never before seen waved us down and called us over.  He said, "Is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints the same as the Mormon Church?"  We said yes, and he said, "You don't have a pastor right, but a Bishop?"  We said yes, and then he said, "Is he in the church right now?  I would love to talk to him."  We told him yes, and he ran waving goodbye with a huge smile on his face.  GOD'S TIMING IS PERFECT.:)

     For P day today my companion wants to get a few things at the store and then we will rest because we have one of the busiest weeks ahead of us.  Last week we sang at the festival and I played my guitar.  There were a lot of people and they were all clapping and the kids were singing a long.  It was AWESOME!!!

     I still have the ring worm because I haven't been able to go to the doctors and get it treated, but I am going to get the medicine this week.  I don't have HUGE blisters anymore but just a blister on every toe. They're my little friends….doing fine.  Haha!  Ok. I gotta tell you something…….. When I was teaching the word of wisdom in a role play to one of the assistants to the Mission President, I said in Korean accidentally, "God has commanded us to drink alcohol, coffee, tea, and to take drugs."  My companion and the assistant burst into laughter.  It was pretty funny I guess.:)

     So you asked me what weird foods I have eaten in Korea.  I have eaten pig tongue, pig intestines, pig feet, and duck, and almost silk worms.  There's probably other things I just can't remember them all.  Duck is actually really good tasting but I would NEVER eat it at home and NEVER choose to eat it on my own.

     The traffic in Korea is crazy, and I would never want to drive around here.  The people do pretty good about following the laws but sometimes when they want to they will just go through red lights.  They hardly get in accidents though.  It's about defensive driving I guess.  Also while people are waiting in lines for things here,  they often squat.  My companion does it too, and now I do it all the time.  

     I have become a clean freak on my mission……just so you know.:)  My companion is good at staying clean but not a freak.  I don't know how to spell it in English but I want to teach you all how to make "jap jay, and mondoo, and sushi (not with raw fish), when I get home.  I'm excited to  show you a little taste of Korea.:)

     What scares me most about coming home soon is not being here…….in this country of Korea anymore, and not being able to speak Korean everyday, nor being able to preach the Gospel without my name tag.  I honestly LOVE MISSIONARY WORK, but doing missionary work at home will be a lot different.  I am also scared of what comes next in my life, but also excited.  I just feel like I'm going to be a missionary forever……...

     For the snacks in my Christmas stocking please send cliff bars, black licorice, and maybe some stocking stuffers.  You don't really need to get me any gifts because I will be home 2 months later.:)  You are all the BEST!!!

     Elder Whiting told us that President Monson is suffering from diabetes and when he is not in public he is in a wheelchair.  He just doesn't like to be in a wheelchair in front of people.  His legs get weak and during conference he was trying to hold himself up as he gripped the pulpit.  He is a man of God, and I know it!!  

     I want you all to know that I know that this church is true and I love every part of this Gospel. I love my Savior Jesus Christ!! I'm so thankful for this mission and for these amazing experiences in my life.  Hope you all have a wonderful week.

                                                Love you,  Michelle


No comments: