Monday, April 13, 2015

Dear fam and friends,

     It was so fun to hear about your vacation in San Diego at Easter time.  This past Tuesday we were asked to go to the airport and pick up the new sister missionaries with our president, and it was about a 2 hour ride there.  There were nine new sister missionaries coming in so we had our work cut out for us.  It was a pretty rainy/foggy day so we pulled their luggage through the rain and onto the subway.  I was in charge of 3 sisters and to help them talk to people on the train.  They were told to give out their Book of Mormons that they were given right on the subway, just like I did when I first came. It brought back memories of when I first got here.  I tried to help them talk to as many people as possible, but they were so scared and just so cute.  They did such a good job, even though they weren't perfect at the Korean language.   You could tell that the people were appreciating these American girls trying so hard to speak to them.  I wasn't that proficient at speaking Korean either when I first came, but it didn't matter.  This reminds me of how the Savior must feel as he stands by our sides when we are trying so hard to do our best.  He lifts us back up when we have done all that we can do and we feel we just can't go on, and he is just right there to help us. We don't have to be perfect, but we need to try.:}  It was really amazing to be there helping these new girls, and it just about brought tears to my eyes to know of their development that will soon happen.  

      On Wednesday we walked all day long and had lots of success, and on Thursday and Friday we went to the hospital to get some testing done for my companion.  It's an hour ride on the subway and an hour back to go to the hospital and so that gets a little exhausting.  We had a fun time getting Jamba Juice, which is once in a lifetime opportunity in Korea, because you rarely find one over here.  Our bodies are just a little beat this week from traveling so much but it's o.k.  We had a great week and got a lot done.

     Thank you for all the birthday wishes!!  It really means a lot to me.  I had one of the best birthdays I have ever had thanks to all the wonderful people here in Korea:)  My companion has to be the sweetest ever and set up a big birthday surprise behind my back. She planned a dinner with the elders in our district and they took me out to this SUPER nice restaurant.  The elders were so nice and paid for all of it. Also the English class members somehow figured out it was my birthday and they all sang to me and brought 2 birthday cakes to share with everyone. I can't tell you how sweet and kind these Korean people are.  There is nothing better than celebrating your birthday by doing missionary work, and I have never had a better birthday!!

     This week we had a CRAZY THUNDERSTORM!!  My companion and I got stuck in the rain after we got off the bus to go home. We decided to ditch our umbrella's and RUN home!!  It was a 10 minute dash in the rain, but we were drenched after 5 seconds. We ran up hill the entire time to get home but we ended up just laughing and laughing.  Our shoes were filled with water and we were running  in a flash flood!!  Crazy!!

     I loved seeing all the photos and videos of the beach in California that you guys sent me!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!  I miss that place and I just about wanted to cry.  Today for p day we are cleaning our house and sleeping, because I have NEVER been so exhausted in my whole life.  The picture that I sent you of my feet with blisters on my toes is what they always look like by the way.  I just deal with it.

     You asked if I was a trainer.  I am not a trainer, but a sister training leader.  A trainer is someone who trains a "greenie." My comp and I watch over the sisters in our zone and report to the president, and attend meetings with the president, and help him with directing his work.

     The Koreans in general think the Mormons are a cult, and the two main beliefs are buddhism and Christianity, but in spite of what they think of Mormons, they LOVE Americans.  They try to talk to us before we can even talk to them, so it really helps us out in striking up a conversation. My next transfer is in about 5 weeks, and we are still meeting with the woman who called us up and asked us to meet her at the church to learn about the gospel.  She told us she has a VERY HARD HEART, and it's really hard for her to accept the gospel, but she wants to continue to meet and learn.  She's a thinker,  and when she gets converted she will be solid.

     I just want you to know how much I love you all and appreciate all your emails.  Thanks for always being there for me!!

                           
                             Love, Michelle

No comments: